How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Halton Hills, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Wireless Internet: Our residents enjoy wireless connectivity so they are free to browse the internet on their own laptops or tablets anywhere in the building.
- Snozelen Program: Our Snozelen Cart is an important tool used by our Behavioural Support Team to help residents with dementia connect with things, textures and activities from their past.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Pet Therapy: Through our St. John’s Ambulance Pet Therapy program, therapy dogs are brought into the home twice a week for one-on-one visits with residents. In addition, we are home to two birds, one cat and two rabbits.
- Monthly Birthday Party: At our monthly Birthday Party we celebrate our residents who are having birthdays that month.
- Live Entertainment: We have regular live entertainment from the community come in to entertain our residents.
- Preserves and Canning: Twice a year we go into canning mode, working alongside residents to preserve tomatoes and make jams.
- Exercise Class: Exercise classes that focus on balance are held 3 times a week.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist